Monday, September 29, 2014

Will H - Bamberg, Germany - Academic Year 2014/15

Hello my name is Will. I am currently spending the year studying in Bamberg, Germany.

When my plane landed in Nuremberg I was amazed at how easy it was to get around. I took a subway, a train, and a short bus ride in order to get to my flat in Bamberg. The whole trip only cost around 15€.

When I finally arrived at my flat after a long day of travel I was ready for sleep. For about the first 5 days I was in Germany all I did was sleep. The jet lag was a lot to handle.
Since I have been in Germany I have been to Nuremberg and Munich. I have a trip planned to England for in week to visit some friends.

Compared to Elmhurst the school in Bamberg is completely different. The campus is spread out all over the entire city. You could have a 40 minute walk or a 10-15 minute bus ride from your flat to a university building. The bus is free when you have a student ID. With 15,000 students Bamberg is similar to a big state school back home. In addition the class are also very different. The registration is very different and is done entirely on your own.

The language barrier is not to much of a problem. Almost everyone under the age of 50 will speak decent English.

Managing your expenses is a very important part of living and traveling abroad. The easiest thing you can do is buy your own food from a local supermarket. If you don't know how to cook, learn. I spend about 30€ a week on food and I am eating very well. I eat different types of meat, vegetables, fruits, and various snacks. I have only eaten out 2x since I have been in Germany. Making your own food or bringing your own food will save a lot of money. A meal out will cost on average around 6-8€ and that doesn't include a drink.



Although I have only been here a few weeks it has been an amazing experience that I never want to end. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home