Monday, March 03, 2014

Kirstie W - Freiburg, Germany - Spring 2014

I am living my dream every day I wake up in Germany. 
I started off on a bad foot.  When I arrived in the air port my plane was very late and I had no clue where I was, where to go, and no way to communicate with anyone.  I met an American and a German who helped me find my way.  I handed the address to the taxi and he drove me to my dorm, but I had no keys, I didn't know where I was living, and it was very dark and late.  Some Germans helped me and let me into my building.  I could not get into my room, but my nice German roommate was helping me and being very nice.  I ended up sleeping with my roommate from my program for the night.  Besides that, I was so happy to finally be in the country I dreamed about.  I really am bad with public transportation and directions, but somehow I am still here so I survived.  If anyone is bad with directions or scared that they cannot speak the language or understand anything that is no problem.  Someone will speak English and if not sharades is a really good way to communicate.  The whether is very interesting.  I never thought scarves were important, but it is definitely important here.  I am glad I bought boots for every day use, also.  Good jeans that you can wear a few times without washing is important, too.  Definitely, a person just needs t-shirts, jackets, good jeans, boots, one or two nice outfits, a decent amount of nice casual, and everyone dresses pretty practical and comfortable in Freiburg.  And definitely getting a bicycle was a fantastic decision.  I recommend that to anyone.  Bring your own special school supplies like pens.  I realized I should have brought more of my personal care products.  Everything here is pretty expensive, and I cannot go to Walmart to take care of all of my needs.  Really, not having a Walmart is such a problem.
On another note, travelling is amazing!  I love trying to speak with the natives in their native tongue and the sights are straight out of a film from when knights and princesses existed.  Everything is different and breath taking.  There is an adventure around every corner.  I realize that I have not done a good job of exploring my surroundings, and I definitely should do more of that.  I feel like I am in a fairy tale wherever I go and whatever I do in Europe. 
By the way, I ran into my RA from Elmhurst!  She is doing her J-term and I ran into her at a museum in Berlin!  Crazy! 



4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kirstie,
I'm heading to Freiburg in the Fall and I was wondering what you would reccomend for me :) I was also wondering what you did about money, do you find it's easy to use a card or should I open a Konto(account)at one of the Freiburg banks? How are classes? Are you signed up with the German programs or are you at one of the Unis? Sorry about the questions, but I'm super excited :) Hope all goes well.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Kirstie,

How did you choose classes? Did you have a set major? Did you choose easy classes so that you wouldn't have to worry about homework/study overload while away?

Best,
Juliette

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what an experience! I probably would have freaked out but it sounds like you were able to adjust to a few things. It's been a few weeks into the semester, do you still experience culture shock? How do you deal with it? Also, how are the schools over there? Is the structure comparable to the U.S.?

Thanks,
Rachel T.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Sotiria said...

Hi Kirstie,
Im getting ready to go away in the fall of 2014 and I am very excited!
I was just wondering if you could give me a few tips about picking my classes.
I am in the process of choosing mine and am having a hard time decifering which I should do!
Thanks!
Samantha

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home