Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Alicia W. - Granada, Spain - Fall 2013

Hi everyone!!
I hope you are having fun getting ready to study abroad! I have been in Granada, Spain for the past week and I am already having a blast! The day before I flew here I was crying and crying because I was so nervous to be leaving everything behind and flying to a place where I know nobody, but as soon as I got here, all that fear disappeared. 
One of the coolest things about studying abroad is that as soon as you are with your group of international students, you instantly have a million things to talk about! “Where are you from?” “Why did you choose this program?” “What classes are you taking?” It’s incredible! It is so easy to make good friends, so if you are concerned about any of that, don’t be! The city of Granada is incredible! It is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen, and I cannot wait to see more. I have already spent more money than I intended so make sure you save save save! And also pack LIGHT! I over packed so much and I already regret it. Who knew how hard it is to roll a heavy suitcase on cobblestone streets! As I said, I have only been here a week so I have plenty more to learn, but if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them as best as I can!!!
Alicia

Feel free to visit Alicia's personal blog for even more insights into her study abroad experience:  pomegranateaventura.blogspot.com




13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from CPP250, Alicia! Alice

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Sounds like your having a great time!
I have a quick question. I want to blog- but I dont know how to post it! What are the steps?
Thanks you
Michael Newton

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, from CPP250, Alicia. Amanda D.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alicia! Looks like your having a great time.

From CPP250,
Melissa M

12:05 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Hi Michael!
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you! To begin blogging all you need to start is a gmail account! Go to https://www.blogger.com/home. There you will find all the tools you need to begin blogging! It definitely takes a little time to get used to the formatting of the website, but mess around with it and it isn't so hard. I believe the first thing you would want to click is "new blog." Hope this helps!!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow seems so exciting, do you feel that it is one of the best choices you have made so far to go abroad?
Have a great time! :)
-Shelby- CPP250

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures look gorgeous! I'm going to be studying in Granada in the Spring and I'm even more excited now. I hope you're having a blast! Beth K., CPP 250

2:14 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Thank you Beth! Granada is so beautiful and I know you will not regret coming here!! I think it is one of the most underrated cities in Europe. It is simply incredible and I couldn't be happier with my choice in city. Let me know if you have any questions specific to Granada and I would be happy to help! Shelby-Deciding to study abroad was definitely a big decision and as the time got closer I got more nervous, but now that I am here I think I can say that it will definitely be one of my most important life decisions that I would certainly regret not having done :)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alicia! I have a few questions about choosing classes. I'm not sure how this experience was for you but it's a bit overwhelming trying to decipher which courses will transfer back to Elmhurst, especially since I won't have a confirmed list of courses for quite some time now. How did you go about this process? Secondly, are you taking each of your classes in Spanish? I am a Spanish minor and am not as confident as I would like to be in my speaking skills and am worried about the level of difficulty of the courses in Granada. Thanks so much! Beth K. CPP 250

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm from CPP250 and I was wondering if you have experienced any of the signs of culture shock in your study abroad experience?
Ava

9:41 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Hi Beth! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I am sure you have chosen classes by now, but it is not too late to change! I took 4 out of 5 of my classes in Spanish, and I also was not super confident about my skills going into it. But I do not regret it at all. The teachers speak slower for you and it was SO helpful for my Spanish skills to hear so much Spanish on a weekly basis. So I HIGHLY recommend taking all your classes in Spanish, even if you are nervous! It really isn't that bad, and it is totally worth it.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CPP 250

Hello Alicia!

I plan on studying in Granada, Spain too this upcoming fall semester! I am VERY excited and glad you were able to adjust so well :) I am worried about overworking my self with school work and keeping up in classes, how well are you able to balance with giving yourself free time? Also, how is the weather!? I am not sure what kinds of clothes to bring, need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Melissa Betance

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am planning on studying abroad this summer in Sicily, Italy. Can't wait!! But I am a little nervous, since I am the only one going to Italy, i think. I am also looking forward on going to Granada, sounds like a great place to go. How is the weather over there? Any advice for my time studying abroad?
Isabel Vazquez
CPP 250

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home