Thursday, September 19, 2013

Katie T. - Edinburgh, Scotland - Fall '13

Hiya Alice and CPP 250 class!
I'm in my dorm in Edinburgh, Scotland right now, and the view out my window alone is enough to convince me that I made the absolute BEST decision in choosing to study abroad. I've been here almost two weeks now (I think I was supposed to write this sooner, but I got just slightly caught up in the whole being in a different country thing) and Edinburgh is absolutely amazing. I can walk to the heart of the city in about 15 minutes from my dorm, and honestly I feel like I'm at Hogsmeade half the time. And there is a CASTLE (a real honest to god castle that has turrets and a moat and is made of stones and height and awe, ok? I don't know that I will ever get over it. Hopefully not.) Anyway, I chose to stay in a dorm this semester because I didn't want to have to fend for myself, food-wise, and there are definitely upsides (food! Close to town!) and downsides (freshman who are away from their homes for the first time and are spending the majority of their nights being very loud and drunk.) The dorms aren't the important part though. The classes I'm taking just seem so much more fascinating than anything I've taken at Elmhurst, though that could be because all of my teachers have accents. Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this, but to anyone currently in CPP 250, no matter where you go, be it Scotland or somewhere far away from here, you are in for an amazing experience. I'm not one to wax poetical about the beauty of a sunrise from the top of a hill, blah blah blah, but I promise you that wherever you go, just being somewhere so different from where you are now will make every sight, sound, and experience something that you will remember for the rest of your life.
Have a good semester, be nice to Alice, and try not to stress too much about the process because Alice will get you there :)
Regards from Scotland!
Katie




The view of Arthurs Seat, an extinct volcano, from my window.







The city of Edinburgh, as seen from the top of Edinburgh Castle.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie,
I'm so happy to read that your experience has been so amazing thus far! Honestly, it's so exciting to read your post because I envision being in a completely different place and I can't wait! Also, I have a question for you about choosing classes: When you chose your classes to take in Edinburgh how did you go about deciding? I guess what I'm asking is what were the main factors you searched for while deciding?
Thank you and best of luck to you!!!!
Ashley R

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home