Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Melissa M. - Paris, France - Fall 2009

So I am studying in Paris for the fall of 2009. I can say already that I made the right choice in choosing to study abroad here. Leading up to leaving I was not nervous at all and very excited and kept telling myself that I was prepared what was up ahead. The trip to Paris could not have been any easier for me. I found out about three weekds prior to leaving that I had a roomate from New York and we talked a little to get to know each other, but then relized we were both going to get to Paris within an hour of each other. We decided to share a cab from the airport to our apartment and it was the best thing to do we did not have to deal with the train or metro with all our luggage.My host family is so nice I couldn't ask for anything better. When I arrived though I went through my first bit of culture shock. I stepped into this apartment where the living space was so minimal I freaked out a bit. We were shown our rooms and my room here is shaped very wierd and I have a sink in it which is not uncommon here. Yet, the other girl here has a room with no sink and has to use mine. Aside from that I just had to adjust to the concept that there is no air condition and they conserve so much more energy then we do. You only take a quick shower and there is no dryer for your clothes after the washing machine.Aside from that the program I am here with is great and they helped us adjust as much as they could and they still do so much for us when an issue comes up. We took two field trips the first two weekends we were here and that was a great way to meet people and explore more than just Paris.Paris is outstanding. I have been here so many times on vacation and in the first month I have lived here I have seen and done more in that time then in all my vacations here put together. I was lucky enough to be placed in a great part of the city. I live right off the Champs-Elysee and could not ask for anything better. There is so much to do here I feel like I wont get half of what I plan to do done because there is just so much to do.Night life here is undescribable. I am sure some wonder about that, and I can say that I have never seen so many options for going out as I do here. You can go to clubs/bars/art exhibits/the ballet/plays/musicals etc. there is just an endless amount of stuff to do.If anyone wants to know more in depth about something feel free to ask me.Melissa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Emily Lagattuta said...

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time in Paris so far. I have been to Paris once before and agree that it is a wonderful place. I will be studying in Perugia, Italy this spring. I am in a similar situation as you in that I have been to Italy several times before. I was excited to hear that you experienced more on your current stay than all of your previous trips. I hope for the same. I was also pleased that your program has been helpful to students. What program are there with? I will be studying with Arcadia.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

It sounds like you are having a great experience in France. I was wondering how you decided what classes to take abroad? I'll be studying in Italy and was trying to think of what classes would be best to take since I'll be in that setting. Thanks!

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Amie V. said...

It is nice to know that your experience in Paris has been going well. My sister visited Paris a couple of years ago for vacation and said the natives weren't to fond of her being American. What do you think we can do, as students studying away, to not look too much like a tourist?

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great time in Paris. What classes are you taking there, and what made you choose them?

--Kaitlin

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home