Saturday, September 26, 2009

Leslie - Ireland - Fall 2009

Hello from Dublin! I’ve only been in Ireland for 2 days, but I feel like I’ve been moving nonstop for all 48 hours. The flight here was shorter than projected, but we still had a 2 hour line to have passports checked. The taxi driver was very congenial. Admittedly, I have not seen the whole city, but from what I have seen, its very very clean. Maybe this only affects me so much because of living around Chicago, but this city is so clean that I really notice little pieces of litter, which are uncommon. There is a now light rail tram-type system called the Luas (which I believe means ‘speed’ in Gaelic) which is (as I said) new, fast, gorgeous, and clean. There is a stop 5 minutes walk from my flat and a stop another 5 minutes walk away from the program center. The flat is also 5 minutes away from the brand new-ish giant shopping mall (the largest one in Ireland). The whole city of Dublin is both very old and quite new. The city was established by Vikings, and just expanded with time, absorbing other villages until it became what it is today. Its full of new constructions and 55% of the city is under are 30, making it the youngest city in Europe demographically speaking. I have 3 flatmates- 2 from Minnesota and one from Wisconsin, who are quite nice so far. The flat is great, although the shower stall in the 2nd bathroom is absolutely tiny. We register for classes tomorrow and start on Monday.
So- that being said, I’m going to bed. For real this time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kaitlin said...

It sounds like you are having a good time over there. Do you think that having American roommates will affect your experience?

3:09 PM  
Anonymous John Maher said...

Hey Leslie,
Glad you are doing well. I was wondering what are some things I should do to not be a standout tourist over there? Is there a difference in the clothing they wear? Also, how often is religion brought up? Is it a frequent topic or seem taboo? I was just wondering given the turmoil in the past. Thanks!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Amie Vargas said...

It is very interesting that you are in one of youngest places in Europe. Will you try to seek out some of the older natives so that the may tell you about Ireland culture? It would be nice if you can get a persepctive from both the older and younger generations.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Emily Lagattuta said...

HI! You mentioned that you were registering for classes-- how did it go? I will be studying in Italy this spring and am nervous about picking classes. Did you pick classes that were more general ed or major specific?

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey leslie,

I'm trying to go to Ireland this spring along with John. You said that you still needed to register for classes. Are you at DCU or at Trinity? What classes are you taking? What do you recommend?

Matt Fryer

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home